Red meat that’s used to make steaks has its fair share of negatives just like any other food source. And just like everything else, there are ways to minimize and avoid all those negatives. In this league, the first thing that you must know is that as long as you consume steaks made with USDA graded beef – Prime, Choice, and Select – you’re not exposing yourself to any danger. Other than this, the area from where the cuts are taken make a lot of difference too.
7 Healthiest Steak Cuts That Promote Healthy Living
If you love steaks but are unsure how to stay healthy without giving up on your favorite food, the guide below will have you introduced to the 7 Healthiest steak cuts you can always order without a second thought.
- Top Round Steak – It is derived from the insides of hip cheek of the cattle. It has just 240 Calories and supplies 36.9 grams of protein. Served at all high-end Steakhouses like Ribnreef, this one is one of the most popular options amongst health conscious people and bodybuilders.
- Bottom Round Steak – This is the beef from the outer surface of the hip area of farm raised and well-fed healthy cattles. The only consideration is that this cut is stiff and requires proper marination so that the steak doesn’t go dry upon cooking. It delivers 300 calories and 47.2 grams of protein.
- Top Sirloin – This steak cut is one of the most preferred options. However, it can turn out to be dry if not marinated well before cooking. It delivers 316 calories and is loaded with 51.6 grams of protein.
- Filet Mignon – Packed with 348 calories and 48 grams of protein, Filet mignon steak is very tender and juicy. Nevertheless, it is extremely flavorsome and needs no margination.
- Porterhouse Steak – This is a stiff steak that is cut from the area closest to tenderloin. It is one of the highly rated and expensive steak types that delivers 346 calories and 46.2 grams of protein.
- Skirt Steak – Cut from the Chest muscles of the cow, skirt steak is very flavorful and delivers 348 calories and 45.4 grams of protein.
- New York Strip Steak – This stiff steak is cut from the area closest to the T-bone. Without margination, this steak goes dry and loses flavor. Additionally, it is punched with 46 grams of protein and delivers 360 calories.
Other than these healthiest options, even T-bone and ribeye steak cuts are popular and healthy.